My SEH Journey – It’s more than just sport!

This week’s blog is written by former student and current Sport, Exercise and Health staff member, Hannah Soodeen.

Hannah, a University of Bristol student wearing a graduation cap and gown, smiling.
Hannah at her graduation

Prior to coming to university, I had an image of university sports being full of posh, scary athletes who were unintentionally intimidating to a not-so-sporty gal like myself. I quickly learnt that there is a lot more to sports than what meets the eye. Through my experiences with the SEH department at the uni I have found the friendliest, loveliest people who just want every student to be involved in sports. I have also learnt that there is a lot of effort put in behind the scenes, for example a whole world of catering, admin, organization and communication in order to create inclusive sporting opportunities for everyone. 

If you don’t know me, I’m Hannah and I’ve technically been working in the SEH department for 4 years! I am going to write about the different roles I’ve had and shine some light on the amazing things that the SEH department does that may often go unnoticed.  

Two people sitting in a golf buggy
In the golf buggy at Coombe Dingle

I began my time in Bristol as a Sociology student in desperate need of a part time job. Luckily, I found an advert for bar/hospitality assistant at Coombe Dingle on the Careers website. I became a natural at pouring pints and soon began to work more often in the kitchen with the legendary Chef Tim! Here I helped serve hungry players after their matches and helped at pre-season where I nearly crashed the golf buggy! 

In this time, I was also an avid member of B:Active classes after being given a timetable at my Fresher’s Fair. I knew I had to attend Carnival Fitness and fell in love immediately. I have always been a massive lover of dance fitness like Zumba going with my mum since I was in my awkward teens. But wow, when I went to carnival fitness that was a true workout that gave such energy and happiness to my life. It helped that I’m very familiar with Carnival attending Trinidad carnival with my family and Notting Hill Carnival every year. I never thought I would be in my second week of uni feeling like I’m at actual carnival dancing to Soca music – those classes were the highlight of my week!

Hannah dancing at a Carnival fitness session
Enjoying Carnival Fitness

In third year, I saw the advert to be a sports activator and knew this was the job for me especially if I got to activate carnival fitness! This is where I met the phenomenal instructor Bianca who would often get me up to the front next to her and let me video everyone dancing. Like many of our B:Active instructors, Bianca also instructs external classes which I still attend.

The SPA team at a Paddleboarding session

When I was working in Coombe and as a sports activator, I had no understanding that both these roles came from the SEH department. I graduated from university and over summer worried about what was next for me. Luckily, I saw the Sports Development Graduate Intern role and knew I had to apply. I am now about 5 months into the role and understand all the mechanics that have gone behind what made my university experience so great. Loads of hard-working people who want to see every student get to enjoy sports. I am so grateful I am now able to help support amazing programmes like B: Active, Game Changers and a new initiative you may have heard of called Moves+. As well as being a part of great events like Mass Carnival Fitness, Welcome Fair and the Colour Run!

The wheelchair tennis club at Coombe Dingle indoor tennis courts
Hannah and the Wheely Good Tennis Club

I have also started volunteering with the Wheely Good Tennis Club who play wheelchair tennis every Wednesday and am going to complete a Level 1 Tennis Coaching qualification in the coming weeks! I highly recommend if you’re a student looking into Game Changers, our sports leadership and volunteering programme, as we can help support you to gain a sporting qualification.  

I am extremely grateful to the whole of SEH from first year to now. Being able to work at Coombe, participate in amazing accessible classes and now working full time for them is my absolute pleasure. If you ever see me around Coombe or the ISC, don’t hesitate to say hello! 😊 

Staff and Activators after a successful colour run!

Special Shout Outs: SPA Team, my home girl Lisa (AKA my manager), OG Arron Godfrey, Chef Tim, Nutch and The Wheely Good Tennis Club!